Maintaining a sense of purpose and meaning, social connections, and engagement in enjoyable activities is crucial to our health and wellbeing, regardless of age or infirmity. Yet when an older loved one is diagnosed with dementia, achieving these goals can become a challenge. This is where adult day care programs are invaluable, providing regular, ongoing opportunities for personal fulfillment and development specific to each person’s individual ability level.
Not only that, but there are some significant perks for seniors who routinely attend adult day programs, and for the family members who provide care for them:
- Enhanced safety and security. With supervision and monitoring of attendees by trained and experienced health care professionals, the risk is dramatically reduced for falls, wandering, self-harm from aggression or other difficult behaviors in dementia, and other dangers.
- Hygiene and health care. Preferred adult day programs provide on-site nursing services, such as vital signs checks, blood sugar testing, and medication administration, as well as help with personal care needs and even therapy services – a one-stop-shop for the care a senior with dementia needs.
- Respite care for families. For family caregivers providing care for a senior with dementia at home, taking regular breaks for self-care is crucial to both their own physical and mental health, and that of their senior loved one. Adult day programs offer the dual opportunity for family caregivers to get the rest they need, while their senior loved ones enjoy a stimulating and enjoyable environment.
While many seniors settle right in to an adult day program, understand that there is often an adjustment period, especially for those with dementia. It’s important to allow some time for the senior to transition, to become comfortable with the surroundings, new people, and routine. It typically doesn’t take long for those with dementia to begin to thrive with opportunities to explore and engage in the varied activities, and to form friendships with other participants, as well as staff.
At Innovative Senior Solutions, we’re pleased to offer adult day health centers in a home-like atmosphere for older adults with cognitive difficulties. Our centers are Medicaid-approved and provide a full range of services and activities, including:
- Nutritious meals and help with eating
- Nursing and personal care
- Fun and engaging activities every day
- Field trips
- Socialization and friendships
- Transportation to and from the center
- And so much more
We’d love to offer you a tour of one of our Georgia adult day health centers, to answer any questions you may have, and to share more about how our programs can benefit a senior you love who is challenged by dementia. Call us any time at 866-409-0582.